Around two months ago, I went through a total social media purge. It was spurred on by my goal this year to no longer stress about my weight, and involved wiping my phone clean of any diet / fitness / health-related accounts that were not creating positivity in my life.
Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Feedly (my blog reader) were trawled for accounts along these lines, and I also deleted any apps that were bringing me down – namely, MyFitnessPal.
Motivation Turns to Demotivation
In the following weeks, the epiphany struck. Accounts I thought were ‘encouraging’ me, like Lorna Jane, Tone It Up and Tracy Anderson, were really just blasting my subconscious day after day with perfect meals, sculpted abs and twice-daily workout check-ins.
And you know what? The overarching feeling was that I was not good enough. Not even close to being good enough.
I wasn’t cooking clean enough meals or meal prepping enough food. Working out three times a week was not going to cut it, if I was going to reach these aspirational heights.
Moments of Clarity
Since the social media cleanse, my mindset and outlook have improved remarkably. I am no longer absorbing messages of health and fitness perfection every time I look down at my phone.
I actually now feel a jolt when a random photo or article shows up in my feed of someone at the gym in perfect neon workout gear.
Your Turn to Cleanse
I think this cleanse could work for so many of you, and not just in the area of health and fitness.
Are you into fashion? Or interior design? Or travel?
Are the accounts you’re following in your interest area making you feel motivated and positive? Or are they making you feel less than, like you’ll never achieve the perfection beaming at you from your iPad?
Go and look through your social media accounts now and really assess the content you’re consuming. I think you’ll be back to thank me.
My Favourite Health and Fitness Instagram Accounts
And if you are into health and fitness, here are six inspirational accounts that make me feel great when I’m looking through my Instagram feed.
- Adriene Mishler (@adrienelouise) – brilliant yoga teacher with a fantastic YouTube channel to boot
- Simi Botic (@themicroharvest) – health coach and author of The Micro Harvest blog
- TheHolisticEdge (@theholisticedge) – my trainer!
- Paige Schmidt (@healthyhitsthespot) – health coach extraordinaire and, in my opinion, one of the most positive people on the internet
- Natalie Carter Talks Fitness (@newoutlookpt) – personal trainer from Sydney, interviewed here on Where The Light Plays not so far back
- Sarah Jenks (@sarahjenks) – creator of the program Live More, Weigh Less and another fabulous blogger
If you do purge, please leave a comment below and let me know any benefits!